Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Rehearsal notes from Shannon


"Anger and physical aggression in girls and women is typically deemed inappropriate. We are taught to deny, suppress and hide these feelings. When they do show up, we tend to feel shame or guilt and try even harder to rein them in. This doesn't always work out so well."  Tabby Biddle




In rehearsal I keep falling into a place of aggression. Not an "I'm frustrated" and being aggressive toward myself but rather aggressive performances start to burst out of the seems of the structure every time I blink. This place scares me and simultaneously I feel confident that it is entirely appropriate. Today I started thinking about violence and if I am interested in representing violence in any form. I wonder if aggression (in performance) can bring us somewhere else. Can performed physical and verbal aggressiveness be used to make balance? Can we see the violence as an effect caused by the opposition, the desire to please and conform?







No comments:

Post a Comment